Today is by far my favorite food holiday– National Potato Lover’s Day. Who doesn’t love potatoes?! They are arguably the most underrated food; most of us take potatoes for granted. I’ll share a secret with you… If I had to choose one dish to eat for the rest of my life, I’d choose mashed potatoes. They’re so buttery and delicious– I’m getting hungry just thinking about it! On National Potato Lover’s Day, let’s show this ordinary ingredient some love and make it extra special.
Like I said, my favorite food ever is good ol’ mashed potatoes. I’ve tasted good mashed and I’ve had bad… I’ve made good mashed and I’ve made bad! Growing up, I was lucky enough to have a mother that had mastered the art of mashed potato making. Some tips she gave me definitely helped perfect my own process. In honor of National Potato Lover’s Day, it is my pleasure to share them today with you!
- When making mashed potatoes, make sure to cut your peeled potato cubes into equal sizes so they all cook thoroughly together.
- Place your cubes in the pot, then cover them with cold water. From there, bring it to a boil and then let them simmer.
- Salting the water while you cook your potatoes will help you season them afterward.
- Add butter that is pre-melted or room temp, not from the refrigerator. Also, heating milk or cream helps it mix better and won’t cool your potatoes down.
- Do not over mix! Overly toying with your potatoes will make them super starchy and get that gummy texture none of us like.
If you’re thinking of honoring National Potato Lover’s Day like I
am, there are tons of recipes on the Forq app! Just type in “potato” in the search bar and scroll through potato recipes until you get some potatoey inspiration. I’m personally debating if I’m going to go with my favorite mashed potatoes or if I’m going to try out a new Baked Parmesan Fingerling Potato Fries recipe I just found on Forq!